29 Mar 10 Ways to Care for Your Diabetic Feet
If you have diabetes, follow these 10 simple yet effective steps that our podiatrists recommend to look after your feet:
1. Wash your feet daily with soap and warm water.
2. Dry your feet well, especially between the toes.
3. Moisturise your feet, but not between the toes.
4. Check your feet daily for blisters, cuts or sores.
5. Keep your toenails trimmed. If you cannot reach them, get a podiatrist to do this.
6. Wear clean socks that fit well and are made from natural, breathable fibres. Consider buying socks made specially for diabetic patients.
7. Make sure your shoes fit comfortably (never wear tight shoes) and that your feet are always dry when you wear footwear.
8. Never walk barefoot, not even in your own home.
9. Examine your shoes thoroughly by shaking them out or feeling inside for objects like pebbles or grit which your feet might not feel but can hurt your feet.
10. Above all, get regular foot examinations by a podiatrist. It can reduce the risk of foot amputations by up to 80%.